Thursday, June 2, 2011

Rules Of The Game

It whizzed past your ear
The surprised look on your face
Pure priceless.
You had thought
I didn't know the rules
And all the while I was
The one playing you instead.


I just stood at one spot
Waiting for you
To send everything my way.
While I made you run
On my whims and fancies
All over that court
And across as well.


You didn't give it your all
Scared you'll hurt me
Maybe even scar my feelings.
I let you have your way
A drop here, a miss there
'Cus it felt nice to know
That's how much you cared.


And so it became
A new game altogether
A game that was all mine
The power of it enthralled
For I was the one making
The rules of this game
And it felt almost divine.


Yet there was a lost charm
For I never was the one
To fool someone for long.
The thrill for me 
Is always in the victory
Of beating someone
Who is my equal in all.


You look at me uncertain
You give me all you got
I know you wish
That I'd take it
And allow you to play
All those moves you've been
Holding back on for so long.


In a split second
I send it sailing back at you
In tandem we move now.
We take it up a notch
And turn it into a heady waltz
Knowing all too well
That the rules of the game
Are yet to be formed.






1 comment:

Devaki S said...

Wow! The poem itself is like a game, only emotions are tossed back and forth,as in it starts with one feeling, then moves to another, then goes back to the former, and like wise. And yes, I loved it. The enormity contained in the simplicity of your poems sometimes astounds me. Keep writing.