Friday, March 11, 2011

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. then a deafening SILENCE.
But only for a moment...
The doors burst open and there is a flurry of white lab coats and that deadly crash cart.
They plunge a needle in the center of that once proud chest, now lifeless.
The core of his strength. Now Lifeless. They pull out the electric paddles next.
Charge. Clear. Shock... Charge. Clear. Shock... No PULSE.
Just a jerking listless body, A corpse being flung around due to the force of the deadly current.
Again and Again.

EAch time that body convulsed - a collage of memories too get flung on the mind's eye.
Him, his wisdom, his power, his love, his teachings, his laugh and the one time he cried,
his amazing knowledge and the desire to share it, his benevolent smile and his kind eyes. All of that and Him.

They charge the paddles again and hit him. I stand there in a daze.
Is this really happening! I see them mutilate this person I love. I see the brutality and I think. Or do I? I wish. Or do I? What should I wish for? THat he come alive in that battered body and live his life in that shadow of his former self, A life that for him would never be dignified. Do I dare wish that on him?

And I wish - "GOD! Please, please God! Take away his pain. Just that... Just let his pain be over!"
And then that Silence, again.
He took away the pain and He took him away from me as well.
I just stand there, almost senseless, trying to comprehend it all and hiding myself  from the searing burn of the question, " Did my wish do this? Was it my wish...?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

no i guess...nobody's wish or nobody's prayers...